Let A Locksmith Rekey Your Existing Locks
Customers often call Temple Locksmiths and Security requesting that we need to ‘change the locks’ or we ‘need new locks’.
Should I Rekey My Locks?
There are many reasons why a customer requires their locks to be keyed, some examples include:
- The customer has just moved into a new property and would like new keys so the old keys no longer work.
- There is a situation where keys have been issued to an individual whom the owner of the property no longer wants to have access to the building so new keys are required.
- The locks have become ‘clicky’ as the existing locks are old and worn
- The building is a new construction or recently renovated and the occupant wants the locks changed as various builders have access to the property.
- The owner has lost the keys and requires new keys to be made.
If a customer requires new keys for their locks, our registered locksmiths have several options to offer to help re-establish a higher level of security and customer peace of mind.
When a customer calls us, we are often able to reassure the customer that instead of changing the entire lockset on a door we can in fact perform what is referred to as a ‘Rekey’.
After a general discussion about the customers’ requirements we’ll often request the customer take some photos of their locks and text or email them to us, we can then ascertain what locks are in the doors prior to us visiting the client, Temple Locksmiths and Security then use these images to make an accurate observation of the quality and style of lock before visiting the customer and to help give accurate pricing over the telephone.
Once we’ve been able to ascertain what locks exist at a property, we can then recommend the Rekey service.
What’s Involved In Rekeying A Lock?
When we Rekey your existing locks, we’ll firstly check a few details.
- We check to see if the locks are currently working correctly.
- The type of key or key profile of the key that exists for that lock.
- We’ll check for any play or wear in the locking components.
Once our trade and industry qualified technician has examined the locks, they’ll then begin to remove the locks from the doors. Once the lock body is disassembled, we’ll then look at the internal lock cylinder and take that component apart.
Once isolated the lock cylinder will be stripped down, we replace the internal springs and all the small parts inside, we’ll introduce a new set of keys to the lock cylinder and recode it to match the new keys. The lock cylinder will be reassembled and during the process it will be thoroughly cleaned and checked for any worn surfaces or irregularities, lubricated and tested for correct operation.
The cylinder will be reinstalled to the lock body and then the entire assembly will be reinstalled into the door, checked for correct and accurate fitment, alignment and locking integrity.
Another beneficial feature of a lock Rekey is that we can offer a ‘Keyed Alike’ service. This means we can recode all of the locks with the same key profile to operate off of only one key.
Temple Locksmiths and Security can also Rekey your locks to a Restricted Key System, we offer a high security system called Secure 6. Installing or retrofitting Secure 6 into your property upgrades the security level on the doors, adds a level of key access control and we can master key the property to control access even more.